General people hardly think of their capabilities to jump. Why should they? But as we talk about sports persons, the ability to jump higher makes a big difference.
That could be the reason why most of the basketball players keep searching for new and more efficient techniques to improve their ability to jump.
Potential to jump higher is one such skill that can change the face of the game. So, here are some steps which you can let you know how to jump higher.
Steps With Techniques
1. Try to lose some weight – There’s no way you can jump higher if your body weight is heavier than it should be. Always remember, the heavier you are, the tougher it gets for you to jump higher. So, you better start working out, plan your diets, and lose your body weight.
2. Make your muscles strong – Jumping is one such physical activity, which requires the strength of almost all your body muscles. So, the more you work out for enhancing the strength of your body muscles, the easier it gets for you to jump higher. Here is a list of exercises, which if done regularly, can significantly improve the stamina of your muscles.
- Squats – It’s an exercise which has its affect on all parts of the body. It primarily focuses on the muscles of thighs, hips and buttocks. But before you get started with it, you must know that it isn’t anything that you can do without professional guidance, however if you go ahead without it, it may result in strain or even damage of your muscles. For assistance, here we have penned down the entire technique involved in performing this exercise.
Points that must be considered while doing squat : Before anything else, you need to warm up your body so that your muscles get ready for the upcoming stretch and strain. You must not start with weight; you believe is beyond your limits.
Calf Raises (toe raises) –It is another exercise that is very useful in improving the strength of your muscles. Something that makes most of the sports person to practice this is the fact that it is one of the easiest exercises with the most efficient results. To do it, you should be stand balanced on your fore-feet, with your heels up. This is the starting and ending position of a calf raise. Gradually, rise up on your toes and then slowly, lower yourself back down. Do this 25-30 times and you’re done.
- Transverse abdominal exercises
- Dorsi-Flexor Exercises
- Hip Flexor Exercises
- Toe Exercises
- Abdominal Exercises
- Upper Body Exercises
3. Improve your flexibility – You need to get flexible enough to do jumping. If you are not flexible, it may cause imbalance in body. To improve your flexibility, all you need to do is to bring your leg as higher as much as you can. All those sports persons who claim to have an efficient jumping ability have 3:2 strength ratios between their quadriceps and hamstrings.
4. Do plyometric exercises – This can turn your movements in fast and powerful way, and it also helps in improving the functions of the nervous system.
5. Take one or two warm up steps – These steps can act as a preliminary, which can generate energy to propel your body in upward direction.
6. Set your body in the right position – Your hips should be flexed at 30 degrees, knees bent 60 degrees, and ankles flexed 25 degrees. This is the best position that lets you jump higher and moreover it is advisable to stay away from injuries. Make sure that your knees don’t point inwards; they should be placed over the second toe and your arms should be at sides.
7. Push your body up using your legs muscles – This is something, which if followed, can do miracles. Swing your hands up in upward side and then breathe in and then push yourself up with using the strength of your leg muscles. Then, while you come back, breathe out.
Learn To Jump Higher:
So, far you got to know about the exercise and techniques that will enhance your jumping ability. Now let’s us know what it takes to jump and how to improve it technically. Gluteal muscles are the ones that are mainly involved in jumping.
- Lower gluteus maximus has three major functions – extension of the hips, hyper-extension of the hip and transverse abduction of the hip.
- The upper gluteus Maximus is responsible in abduction of the hip, and the external rotation of hip.
- Glute muscles are highly responsible for jumping, running, and even twisting.
The above mentioned three points are there just to explain you the importance of Gluteal muscles. Glute muscles are very essential part of jumping and it is compulsory to do Glute exercises if you want to jump higher. Squats, dead lifts, and lunges are not the exercises that will have their affect on gluteal muscles. So, let us know about few very effective gluteal muscles.
- Glute Bridge – Lie on your back on an exercise mat or the floor in a bent-knee position with your feet flat on the floor. Lift your hips up until your knees, shoulders and butt come in a straight line. You must not press on your hips very high, as that can root hyperextension in the lower part of your back. Hold for 3 seconds and repeat for 2 sets of 10.
- Barbell Hip Thrust – Keep your feet flat on the ground and make sure that your body weight is uniformly distributed on your feet. Keep your knees at right angle. Place your shoulder blades on edge of the bench and relax your arms. Keep barbell at the waist. Take care that hips must lock out at the top – pause for 2 seconds. Do 2 sets of 10 reps.
- Hip Flexor Stretch – Go down on your knee (only on one) with your back straight and other foot out in front. Slide your hips forward till you feel the stretch in the front of the hip. Hold for 10-12 seconds and then change sides.
With these exercises done consistently, you can increase can measure the increase in your jumping ability in a very short period of time.
How Proper Nutrition Helps in Jumping Higher ?
You must have read in hundreds of magazines that one must eat healthy and hygienic food. But have you ever wonder how can it affect your jumping ability? Well, probably not! We don’t think that way, do we?
Anyways, the reason behind it is being suggested to eat nutritious food over junk food and other artificial food items that are in style these days, is that our muscles feed on minerals and vitamins present in our food. If your muscles starve, there is no way they will be able enough to let you jump higher. So, better keep an eye on what you eat.